So you are looking to open a new practice, or expand or remodel your existing…
How do you start?
There are several ways to get started:
1. You can contact a contractor to discuss your options. The positive aspects are if you are able to find a licensed qualified and dependable contractor, they will help work toward a budget that you can plan with and many of them can get your permit drawings created for construction. The negative aspects: they will not be your best design source, they will not design with all the details or an understanding of creating the most efficient space, nor will they design to give you aesthetic impact for your dollars. They are focused on the construction. Basically, they will not design…they will build. If there is anything unique and unusual in your mind, they will typically increase the cost unnecessarily and you may loss a possibly great idea due to the unknown. And if they are a Design-Build firm, they are typically a construction firm that uses design as a loss leader, they don’t consider design alone as a business, just a way to get closer to building with them, (like screenings) so once again, design is not a focus…And be sure to ask them how many Chiropractic Offices have they built.
At CrossFields, because we are both a design and construction firm equally, we will not only help establish a budget up front and focus to meet it, but, as a design firm, we first evaluate and qualify your design plans and add the impact to meet your budget. Then, we will produce your permit drawings and assure as a team you get what you expected. We are Registered Professionals, Licensed, LEED Accredited, Specifically Educated, Well-Experienced, and have a reputation of trust and integrity.
2. You can hire an architect. They can design your space, but they can’t accurately budget your project. If you start with an architect, you will then need a contractor and more often than not, the process will go back and forth in redesign until you can hit your budget. Also, very few architects have completed numerous Chiropractic Offices and specialize in the knowledge of your industry.
At CrossFields, we design with the budget in mind, knowing as a design/construction team how to make the biggest impact with your dollars, eliminating the back and forth, saving time and money. And we specialize in Chiropractors.
3. You can use the services of Chiropractic equipment suppliers, and/or furniture suppliers to begin your design. These sources have the knowledge Chiropractors needs and can certainly help you. But their help stops with their expertise and does not overlap into the whole. They don’t do the aesthetic design, building codes, permit drawings and budgeting. The goal of the equipment and/or furnishings supplier is to support you with their product. They can definitely help and support, but they do not perform the entire process.
At CrossFields, we focus on the entire process, and utilize the knowledge and expertise of equipment suppliers. Since we don’t sell product, we use your source, or help evaluate sources for the one that best suits your needs.
4. You can depend on your landlord. This is probably the most common and the least expensive way to get your design started. The Landlord typically has an arrangement with an architect and contractor to help layout your space and get it priced…as quickly as possible. His goal is to get to a place where you are comfortable with the space enough to negotiate your lease. The problem we have seen over and over with this singular approach is the architect and/or contractor are working at a reduced negotiated rate for the landlord, and you only get the focus needed to accomplish the landlord’s needs. There is very little time put into the analysis of the details and needs of your space, and very often we have found the Chiropractor ends up short and doesn’t discover missing or incorrect items until construction – which can delay and cost money. Or even worse, after they have moved in and found that their exam table doesn’t fit in the room, because there were changes made without their knowledge. The limited fee created a limited service and their loyalty was not to the Chiropractor.
At CrossFields, we are devoted to you and your best interests. We focus on the details up front so that your expectations and needs in your space are met in the end. There are seldom changes, saving you time and money.
5. You can hire CrossFields. We have heard over and over again that the most frustrating thing for the Chiropractor is all the details, and the codes, inspections, surprises, and the stress they find themselves under when they go through the process of building or remodeling their office. If you hire any one of the above, you will seldom get one team to oversee all the details of the process. The more parties involved in your project, the more room for error and delays. You will become the middleman.
At CrossFields, we act as your representative to oversee and handle all the aspects of your facility. We handle any problems that may arise and eliminate the blame game that happens on many projects. This allows you to focus on marketing and the running of your practice, instead of your job site.
CrossFields is a one-stop source that is experienced in all phases of the process of facility development, understands and teaches to your industry and has a reputation of integrity and best utilizing your budget to make your space a wonderful impact on your patients.
For more information about our services and how we can help you, please contact us for a Free Complimentary Consultation.